Re: [asa] Four views

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 14:45:34 EST

 I have problems with the categories "God intended" versus "God didn't intend."? I don't know how it can be that God didn't intend any of the things that actually happened.? If it happened, then obviously he intended it.? I think you have to define what you mean by "unintended", and I'm not sure it can be defined very precisely or meaningfully.

Example:? did God intend for us to have a broken gene for Vitamin C production, or was it an accident of evolution?? I don't think this is a real either-or choice.? I think God intends every accident to occur.? By "accident" we simply mean that there were secondary causes and from our limited perspective they seemed to lack design.

Maybe we can define it in terms of probability:? pseudogenes are probable in the set of all possible universes because of Darwinian mechanisms.? Then we can say TE believes God intended the universe to be typical among the set of all possible universes in that it contains a great many secondary causes that are common within that set.? Thus, broken genes indicates the predominance of ordinary secondary causes.? ID says OTOH that these ordinary secondary causes aren't sufficiently effective to produce in many situations and so there exist many improbable features of life in this univerese.? But either way, we can say God **intended** it to happen exactly as it did happen.

Phil