RE: [asa] promise trumps biology (accepting biological evolution for Adam)

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 14:12:36 EST

Thank you George for your tolerant approach and balanced explanation. I certainly do see that you are "very much interested in persuading Christians that evolution should be dealt with adequately in the ways they think about the world & their faith," even if we do not always agree in the fine details of the conversation. With mercy, hopefully this tone and temperament can be shared and spread, especially to those who are engaged in a 'culture war' mentality, which may be (said as an outsider) one of the unhealthiest things in American society today.

~~

Bernie wrote:
"I really want to attack thoughts and it isn’t personal."

Arago responds:
Thoughts are held by people. Why use such language as 'attack'?

Bernie continues: "The more I talk to Christians about science, the more deplorable I find their understanding.  Unfortunately, the movie “Religulous” made this point well: the average man in the pew is pathetic when it comes to reason and science.  Maybe it is the attitude of compromise by some Pastors that are facilitating this?  I love evangelism, and talking to atheists.  They have no patience for any garbage (compromise) at all.  I think we need to awaken the sleepers."

Arago: You find 'their' understanding deplorable, pathetic and you condscend upon it, Bernie, which implies that you have more scientific knowledge than they do. Is it not true that you are not a scientist, Bernie, but rather an electric engineer and evangelist as you said when asked upon beginning to post on the ASA list?

Aside from exceeding the 4-post per day limit, I find this type of aggressive evangelical approach to science, philosophy and theology rather counter-productive. If someone wishes to use the list to build an 'arsenal' for his or her apologetics, is this the type of behavior that ASA usually condones?

Lastly, just recently I reminded you, Bernie. After George's post which mentioned "your insistence that she see everything your way," let me please remind you again that "the average man in the pew" is old-school language that is now considered sexist. The average person is more appropriate.

Thanks for listening, Bernie. __________________________________________________________________ Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com