Re: [asa] ID as theological necessity (old Timaeus discussion, new PSCF artic...

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 12:48:33 EST

I apologize for being too brief, & therefore unclear, in posing these
questions. When I referred to "church fellowship" I really had in mind the
question of what degree of theological agreement is necessary in order for 2
church bodies to be in fellowship - the sort of thing that was dealt with,
e.g., in discussions that led to the current agreement between the Episcopal
Church in the United States and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
("Communio in sacris" is a fancier term than "church fellowship.") While
the question of what is necessary in order for an individual to join a
congregation may be similar, the issues will generally not be dealt with as
systematically, and at as high a level of theological sophistication, as
will negotiations between church bodies.

& I should point out that the question is appropriate for this list only in
the context in which I posed it - i.e., how much agreement about issues such
as intelligent design, evolution &c is needed for church fellowship. Thus I
resist, & encourage others to resist, getting into debates on the list about
homsexuality, Buddhism, & other matters that might be provoked by Burgy's
post.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm