Re: [asa] ID as theological necessity (old Timaeus discussion, new PSCF artic...

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 11:56:19 EST

On 12/16/08, David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is necessary for church fellowship depends on context. My ideal
> is simply assent to the basic outline of the ecumenical creeds
> (Apostles / Nicene) and a desire to grow in faith and holiness.
>
> All IMHO of course.

"Church Fellowship" is a vague term. How about "church membership?"
But even that is vague in some places, particularly small rural
places.

In my daughter's Metropolitan church they recently admitted to
membership a fellow who was raised Jewish and did not want to give
that up. Being gay, he could find no other congregation that would
accept him.

There was quite a controversy. A few folks left.

I think admitting him to membership was the right thing to do, for it
placed his humanity over a narrow theological view. Most Metropolitan
members are quite familiar at being excluded from various groups.

We had no such problems in our small Rico church, although our piano
player was a gay buddist and at least one regular attender also tended
towards that position. Both were easier to fellowship with than some
orthodox Christians I have known.

I don't know the real answers to all the obvious questions this
raises. I do know that the accepting and welcoming of people of all
persuasions is an absolute essential of the faith I call Christianity.