Re: [asa] Huxley & History

From: <cmekve@aol.com>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 15:14:09 EST

Adrian Desmond's book "Huxley" gives a very readable account of the way the Church of England was "interwoven" with politics, education, and professional issues of the day.? If Desmond is even partly correct, the direct influence of the church was on a scale that would astound most of us in the U.S.? Huxley seemed more intent of getting the church out of dictating to science (as a profession), than to actually attacking Christianity per se.? Even after the Huxley-Wilberforce debate, those two men worked closely and amiably on various scientific society committees.? Class, polities, and religion seem to have been very closely intertwined at that time.

If I remember correctly, Jim Moore read early versions of Desmond's book, so he should have kept A.D. fairly well informed on church related issues.

Ted or Michael -- care to comment?? Am I giving Desmond too much benefit-of-the-doubt ?

Karl
Karl V. Evans
cmekve@aol.com