Re: [asa] ID as theological necessity (old Timaeus discussion, new PSCF artic...

From: <SteamDoc@aol.com>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 13:58:58 EST

We may be at diminishing returns with this exchange, but I want to try one
more time because I think David missed an important distinction I was trying to
 make.

There is a big distinction between saying a doctrine is CORRECT and saying
that it is NECESSARY. David says below that, with a sufficiently broad
definition of "observable", it is CORRECT to assert the observability of God's
design in nature. I don't particularly disagree (at least if we allow the
observable aspects to be things accessible to Paul when Romans 1 was written [so
sunsets but not the flagellum] and if we allow that our sinful state means we
cannot expect that all will see it).

But once you go from saying a doctrine is CORRECT to saying it is NECESSARY
(as Groothuis seems to do for the observability of God in nature), that is
"adding to the Gospel". For example, if somebody claims that the Earth being
young is a CORRECT doctrine, I would disagree but would not get too upset.
But if they say that a young Earth is NECESSARY for Christian theism, that's
adding to the Gospel and worthy of condemnation. Body/soul dualism may or may
not be CORRECT, but it would be wrong to insist that it is NECESSARY for
theism. This is the difference between essential and non-essential doctrines,
and the list of (necessary) essentials should be a small subset of all
doctrines we hold.

Similarly, the sort of natural theology advocated by Groothuis may or may
not have some correctness. My objection is not to the claim that it is
correct, but to the claim that it is necessary -- that theism *requires* this
"observability" of God's design (under however broad a definition) to be a true
proposition.
It is necessary that God be the creator. Even if a couple of verses may
reasonably be interpreted to suggest that God's design is "observable" in nature
in some sense, I see no justification for promoting this doctrine of
observability from the "correct" category to the "necessary" category.

Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
(ASA member)

In a message dated 12/16/2008 8:28:19 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,