[asa] Four views

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 11:12:43 EST

Perhaps one might summarize some of the various metaphysical viewpoints like this:

atheistic evolutionism: Human beings are the unintended, accidental result of random processes. How do we know this? Because we have examined the details of the intermediate processes from the Big Bang to human existence and find that they are characterized by random events which could have been otherwise. Pure chance.

ID: Human beings are the intended, purposeful result of an intelligent agent. How do we know this? Because we have examined the details of the intermediate processes from the Big Bang to human existence and find that they are characterized by random events which would most likely have been otherwise but were in fact precisely that required for human existence. Specified complexity.

TE: Human beings are the intended, purposeful result of God's creative act. How do we know this? Because God has revealed it to us in his Word. We may or may not find direct evidence of it, or the mechanism for it, in the details of the intermediate evolutionary processes but even if we did, the basis of knowledge is God's revelation. Revealed knowledge.

Process theology: Human beings are the unintended, accidental result of random processes, endowed with the Imago Dei by God. How do we know this? Because we have examined the details of the intermediate processes from the Big Bang to human existence and find that they are characterized by random events which could have been otherwise. God has revealed to us that he chose our species, which had evolved to a state of consciousness and God-awareness with the ability to perceive and communicate with God, to be the focus of the incarnation.

Randy