Re: [asa] ID as theological necessity (old Timaeus discussion, new PSCF artic...

From: <SteamDoc@aol.com>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 22:00:42 EST

I did not mean to imply that Groothuis was calling modern ID arguments
essential to Christian theology. Let me try another angle to get at what I found
offensive.

Let's consider the following 3 statements (Note that this is NOT a
syllogism):
1) It is a necessary part of Christian theology that God is the designer of
nature.
2) God's design in nature is observable.
3) It is a necessary part of Christian theology that God's design be
observable in nature.

#1 I would absolutely agree with.
#2 is an opinion or doctrine (which some might base on an interpretation of
Romans 1) that I might or might not agree with, but I don't find it
particularly objectionable (at least if not accompanied by bad arguments about claimed
observation).
#3, however, is what Groothuis actually said. If he had only said #1 (in a
paper that makes clear he advocates #2 as well), that would be fine. But #3
does not follow from the other 2, because it adds the "observable" condition
to the list of what is "necessary". In my book (and in a more important
book) that sort of thing is called "adding to the gospel".
Even if one can make a case (Biblical and/or scientific) that the design
really is observable, in no way is that observability *necessary*. It may be
necessary to some "God of the gaps" form of theism, but not to a healthy
Christian theism where God is not required to show himself in the ways our
Enlightenment-warped fallen minds think he ought to. Groothuis is not just arguing
for natural theology; he seems to be saying that theism can't work without it.

Maybe a parallel would also help make the point. A statement parallel to
that of Groothuis would be "A necessary component of Christian theism is that
God's miraculous healing power be observed today." Now, the fact that God has
such power is necessary. And if somebody wants to claim such observation
today (I am not a cessationist despite not having observed it myself), that is
OK with me. But if such observation is made a necessity (so that lack of
observable miracles entails lack of God), we are adding to the gospel and need
to reject the statement.

Allan Harvey (ASA member)

In a message dated 12/15/2008 1:34:24 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,