Re: [asa] ID as theological necessity (old Timaeus discussion, new PSCF article)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 15:34:02 EST

I am not a Groothuis fan by any stretch (see, e.g., my letter to the editor
in the current Books & Culture).

 However, to be fair, Groothuis does not in the quoted sentence say that
modern ID arguments are essential to Christian theology. He says it
is necessary to hold that "God's designing intelligence is observable in
nature." As to ID, he says ID arguments "lend rationality" to
this necessary proposition. His claim therefore is that ID arguments are
merely supportive of, and not necessary to, the observability of God's
designing intelligence in nature.

That said, the argument remains clunky. First, I'm not sure scripture or
the Tradition would agree with the notion that God's designing intelligence
is "observable in nature," depending on what we mean by "observable" and
"nature". The point of Romans 1, of course, is that human beings shut their
eyes to the evidence of God from nature. Second, "nature" means all of
creation, not some particular aspects of it that might or might not be
irreducibly complex. So the claim of Christian theology really is the basic
claim that all of creation declares God's glory -- which in some ways cuts
against ID's claims about particular, narrow aspects of creation.

Finally, I have no idea what "lend rationality" means. I think he means
"lends empirical support." But that's a (highly debateable) empirical
claim, which is weaker than a claim compelled by rationality. The more
basic claim that creation declares God's glory seems to be rational in
itself.

 David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School