Re: [asa] Anti-Creationism Lecture

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 12:45:17 EST

Hi Iain,

I'd expand the below to suggest that miracles have "revelatory context" - that is to say, they aren't simply unusual events which have to be ascribed to God because we lack any other possible explanation. Rather they are attention grabbing events which we ascribe to God because he so closely associates himself with them.

So, for example, the miracles God worked in Egypt were accompanied by a commentary from Moses explaining what they were about. And a little reflection shows that to be true of all miracles - even Calvin's "perpetual miracle" of nature comes with a commentary in the form of the biblical passages which provide us the basis of a theology of nature.

Prompted by your remarks on YEC's invoking "miracle" as a solution for scientific conundrums: they vary from biblical miracles as described above in precisely the same way at the traditional "deus ex machina" of the Greek playwrights. They are introduced in order to solve a problem in the plot whilst having absolutely no connection with the plot itself.

Blessings,
Murray