Re: [asa] EIC (Evolutionary Informed Christian)

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 13 2008 - 22:37:15 EST

George,
In general I liked and enjoyed your answer. It made me appreciate your
position a bit more.

But I'm writing here to remark, did you really say "Evolutionary
creationist"?? Wow. Interesting term.

I myself used to talk about "random creationism" meaning the belief that
random events create information ex nihilo. The idea that new
information, never seen before, is created where none was before.

Right or wrong may I be, that, to me, is the very essence of the idea of
what materialists conceive evolutionary theory to be.

The idea of random creationism occurred to me while listening to a
discussion between Del Ratsch, Chris Macosko, and Mark Borrego after Del
gave a talk on Darwin. (I hope I spelled all their names correctly).

For the record, I utterly disbelieve that randomness produces information.
There is only one way I can conceive of it doing so: if information pops
out of empty space much like a virtual particle.

But materialists surely must believe that information comes from somewhere.
I am confused about that source may be. If it isnt symmetry (where symmetry
is pre-existing information, not new information) and isnt created randomly
(ie, isnt randomness ) then what is it?

Dave C (Asa member) PS, I hope I am not asking a really dumb question.