[asa] Anti-Creationism Lecture

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Sat Dec 13 2008 - 21:31:07 EST

This afternoon I attended a lecture on Creationism at the National
Science Foundation facility in Arlington, VA. It was sponsored by the
National Capital Area Skeptics. Frankly, it was a delightful, witty
presentation by a retired anthropologist who had been associated with
the Smithsonian and had taught at George Mason University. She knew the
arguments and weaknesses of creationism and the only mistake I heard her
make was she showed a picture of Duane Gish and thought he had already
died. (I sent her an email and told her to delete that part of his
resume.

I remember thinking as I was riding the Metro to Arlington that it was
odd to hold this kind of lecture so close to Christmas. Also, what with
shopping and stuff how would you get an audience? I was amazed that the
lecture room at the NSF was packed with only a few chairs vacant. But
what struck me even more were the people who attended. We have all
looked out over church audiences and seen smiling faces, friends sitting
together, couples and families. Of the some 200 or so who were there I
saw no two arrive together. No husbands and wives. No children. No
smiles.

Richard Leakey in the prologue to his book Origins Reconsidered,
referring to the question and answer sessions that close his public
lectures, wrote: "The audiences that come to hear me are, I often feel,
seeking a kind of reassurance." And that's what I saw today in the
faces of those who came out to hear a lecture on evolution twelve days
before Christmas. Faces that were sad, lonely, isolated, detached, and
looking for that kind of assurance. They were putting their faith in
science but their faces told a revealing story.

Riding the Metro back home gave me time to answer my own question. Of
course, this was Christmas time, a joyous time for believers, and this
audience was largely made up of non-believers. They needed something,
you could see it in their faces, but they had already rejected what they
needed most.

Dick Fischer, GPA president
Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org