Re: [asa] RE: The Local Flood (was promise trumps biology)

From: Vernon Jenkins <>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 01:21:28 EST

Included in his response to Bernie (10.12.08), Dick Fischer wrote : "...if the entire globe was covered, where did the water drain off? Since the impossible is less plausible than the possible a local flood is far more likely."

But this _impossible_ matter is readily explained. In the Britannica Online Encyclopedia ( we read the following statistics that currently obtain:

The oceans and their marginal seas cover nearly 71 percent of the Earth's surface, with an average depth of 3,795 metres (12,450 feet). The exposed land occupies the remaining 29 percent of the planetary surface and has a mean elevation of only 840 metres (2,756 feet). Actually, all the elevated land could be hidden under the oceans and the Earth reduced to a smooth sphere that would be completely covered by a continuous layer of seawater2,686 metres deep. This is known as the sphere depth of the oceans and serves to underscore the abundance of water on the Earth's surface.

To understand what happened to the Flood waters we simply need to see this development in reverse. Thus, having read in Genesis 1:9, "And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.", we may safely infer that such was the world into which Noah was born: a single body of water; a single land mass; the Earth, a relatively smooth sphere. At its peak, therefore, the global deluge would have generated a substantial _sphere depth of water_ (as defined above). The matter of the eventual and gradual drainage is therefore to be explained by the breaking up of the 'fountains of the great deep' (Genesis 7:11) - involving, amongst other things, a major restructuring of the planet's surface; gigantic trenches opening up to receive these superficial waters and forces of mountain-building coming into play. The result: the Earth as we know it today.

By the way, Dick, in fairness to your readers I suggest the 'Genesis Proclaimed' undertaking needs to be restructured in line with _reality_ - rather than being laced with evolution-driven conjecture. Why not now grace it with factual details of The Miracle and its pressing implications for a global flood, etc. You might even consider including a link to


To unsubscribe, send a message to with
"unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.
Received on Fri Dec 12 01:22:12 2008

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri Dec 12 2008 - 01:22:13 EST