Re: [asa] red in truth and claw?

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 21:25:17 EST

Dehler, Bernie wrote:
> I liked you insight with the YEC hat. I will also have atheists claiming the same thing- it would be an evil God. Any answer tailored to them as well?
>
> ...Bernie

While much of Loren's response seems good, I think some atheists enjoy
probing for inconsistencies. Our constant playing with new theological
possibilities can lead to useful insights, but for atheists this often
just represents another new target to have fun shooting at. I would
simply cut to the heart of their objection and agree with them: "hey
--you know what?-- you're right! This is and has been a problem for
Christians for a long time, and none of our answers seem to satisfy,
even Christians, completely!" When it comes down to it, who among
us demands complete and self-consistent systems of understanding before
ever launching on an enterprise. Forget marriage! Forget any form of
trust or relationship ---forget life. None of us lives on this planet
without accepting truckloads of messy propositions before starting just
about everything we do; so why do atheists think Christians have to
have it all laid out before we can respond to Christ's call and enter
into a relationship with him? And in that harbor of trust, we hopefully
mature to the point where we can praise God through it all; and maybe
occassionally argue with him like Job or Abraham did while refusing to
curse him or abandon the relationship. If atheists want any more,
they're living in the wrong universe. But I would tread softly. I
think the "hardened atheist" is quite possibly in some ways closer to
God's heart than many of us pious Christians during our proud moments.
And many atheists in this country feel persecuted too. They feel
shouted down by all the obnoxious Christians they're surrounded by (in
their perspective.) So friendship, listening, and patience to let them
argue it out will go the longest way. And their "hypocrite" detectors
are calibrated and on the most ultra-sensitive settings!

--Merv