Re: [asa] promise trumps biology (excommunication)

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 18:49:20 EST
An interesting question. But we are all immoral to some degree (even perhaps in some of the named ways), so a judgment is required to determine the "degreeness". That poses an obvious dilemma with respect to who is inside and who is outside. Here is a case where it seems instructive to watch where the footsteps of Jesus led him. If one wishes to focus on "wicked", it would appear that "wicked" would be way out on the extremes, and involves something of intent that does not apply to many that find the church's welcome mat snatched from before them for much lesser offense.

JimA [Friend of ASA]

Dehler, Bernie wrote:
Burgy said:
" We have not and will not turn anyone away!"

No excommunication? Aren't you supposed to expel immoral brothers, according to the Bible?

1 Cor. 5:
9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people- 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.  12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."