Re: [asa] red in truth and claw?

From: <cmekve@aol.com>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 16:50:34 EST

Murray, as usual, puts it very well.  I would add that it is easier for many people to accept some of the theodicies where humans are concerned than for animals.  One could argue that in some sense humans have a choice but most amimal lives are short, nasty, and brutal, and can't even live up to a "fulfilled" animal life -- however one cares to define that.  This is one strong reason for arguing that the ultimate redemption of creation (creatio ex vetere) should and will include the redemption of animals -- a redeeming of all things (ta panta) as Colossians puts it.  And not only species as Polkinghorne suggests but also individual animals.  Christopher Southgate has an excellent new book "The Groaning of Creation: God, Evolution, and the Problem of Evil" which approaches the whole problem from a "traditional" theological viewpoint.  Not surprisingly, his approach is kenotic in nature and mirrors at least some of what George has expressed on this list.

Gaymon Bennett, Marty Hewlett, Ted Peters, and Bob Russell have also edited a book on The Evolution of Evil, but I haven't seen that one.  It's certainly a hot topic these days in the faith-and-science literature.

BTW, Tennyson's line about 'nature red in tooth and claw' was written well before Darwin ever published.  Many people aren't aware of that.

Karl
Karl V. Evans
cmekve@aol.com