Re: [asa] red in truth and claw?

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 15:55:37 EST

Hi Bernie,

Personally I take this to be part of the broader problem of evil and respond accordingly.

In part this means acknowledging that regardless of how we understand human origins, God saw fit to create a world in which suffering and death is part of God's plan. Note here that I personally don't consider that throwing this back on Adam and Eve comes even remotely close to resolving the question of why God allows the POTENTIAL for suffering and death. So even given the normal YEC response to the problem of evil, it strikes me that God still bears some culpability (unless, of course, we only selectively apply language of primary and secondary causation!)

Not liking the "blame Adam and Eve" option, then, my response to evil is to point to (1) the fundamentally incarnational nature of Christian understandings of God in which God "suffers with" his creation, (2) the deep wisdom of God which may place a comprehensive explanation beyond our understanding, (3) the Christian eschatological hope of a world in which all such evils are set right, (4) the nature of Christian faith which at least involves accepting that God is good, wise, and in control despite appearances to the contrary, and (5) the various theodicies which have been proposed.

On (5) I'd expand a little to suggest that whilst I don't think the various theodicies provide us with an "answer" to the problem of suffering and death, nevertheless they are helpful in making some sense of it. So, for instance, I don't think Hick's "soul building theodicy" (that suffering is a necessary part of emotional growth) is wrong in as much as I don't think it the full picture. So too for the free will theodicy, etc.

On (1) one would want to emphasize that the Christian notion of the incarnation points to a God who suffers with his creation so it's not entirely a case of God standing outside the process and expecting us to bear it alone or unaided.

On this, it's probably worth mentioning that I believe we should be grounding our theology in an understanding of God's redemptive work in Christ rather than in God's creative activity as (purportedly) represented by Genesis 1-3. I disagree vehemently, in other words, with claims that one has to read Gen 1-3 literally in order to make sense of Christ.

As such, I believe that TE's are quite free to appeal to long established theological responses to evil. About the only thing a TE CAN'T do is pass the buck to Adam and Eve but, as mentioned, I don't find that the least compelling and wouldn't be wanting to go that way in any case.

Hope it helps somewhat,

Blessings,
Murray