Re: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 11:36:50 EST

Dick -

a) My Ph.D is in physics. I have an M.Div. in theology.

b) To say that Hebrew "derives directly from Akkadian" is an overstatement.

c) Of course there are relationships between Semitic languages but that doesn't include Egyptian, so how does Atun get equated with Adam? (Yes, I'm sure you've got an answer.)

d) English is related to French but fin de siecle doesn't mean "I'll give you five bucks for the bicycle."

e) Even "sounds like" etymological relations between words in the same language are often spurious. (Some of the "folk etymologies" in the Bible are scientifically dubious, but of course the aim of the writers wasn't scientific linguistics.) Sometimes of course one gets lucky - my sister was right that German edel , "noble," is related to Adler, "eagle," a suggestion that my Ph.D. philologist father was initially dubious about. But you can't depend on luck too often.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm