RE: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 11:24:22 EST

Hi George:

I think we tend to make it more complicated than it needs to be. First
of all, did Adam and Noah exist? That's simply yes or no, no middle
ground. They either were living human beings or mythological or
theological constructs. If you side with the biblical authors and
historical references then they were actual air-breathing Homo sapiens.
If you choose that route then the next question becomes when and where
did they live?

Next, either they lived far enough back in time that they could feasibly
have started the human race or their entry was too late for that. Once
again, it is either one of the other. If the biblical account in
Genesis 2-11 and the history of the ancient Near East has any
credibility at all they were Neolithic characters who resided in
Mesopotamia no earlier than 7,000 years ago.

You can cloud the issue all you want with loaded terms like
"pre-adamites," but that doesn't change the basic picture and the
decision making tree I just outlined.

As for me personally, I didn't choose a path and then look for
corroborating evidence. I weighed the evidence and then chose the path.
Frankly, the evidence I have accumulated over the last 28 years is
overwhelming. Of course, if one chooses to remain oblivious to the
evidence then he or she could reach counter conclusions such as Adam
lived in Africa 60,000 to 100,000 years ago, or that Adam was an
invention of some imaginative Akkadian or Semite scribe. Although I
will allow those are possibilities I consider them remote and totally
absent any evidentiary support.

As for Josephus and his limited scope of reference, he made a few
mistakes in my humble estimation. The river Gihon named in Genesis 2 in
the region of the Garden of Eden he equated with the Nile influencing
the King James translators to equate "Cush" with Ethiopia and setting
the stage for a common misunderstanding that the black race (cush means
"black" in Hebrew) emanated from Ham. Makes absolutely no sense.

But why did Josephus make that connection? Today we know that the
original home of the Kassites, or Cushites, was in the southwest corner
of Iran along the Kashkan/Karkheh river basin, an area called Khuzistan
today. The name "Gihon" appears to have evolved into the Guyedes over
time at that location. This makes good sense as all four rivers would
have emptied directly into the Persian Gulf at that time, whereas the
Nile is on a different continent.

This initial home turned out to be a perilous location, however, as the
Kassi as the Assyrians called them were sandwiched between the warlike
nations of Assyria, Babylonia, Urartu and Elam. Whether they migrated
en masse or whether only a portion of them migrated, I don't know. But
when a new, safer location was found along the river Nile they named the
river "Gihon" after the original river in their original homeland.
Josephus would not have known this.

Remember, we have accumulated significant archaeological evidence in the
Near East over the last 200 years. It is just that we haven't allowed
this evidence to influence our archaic theology.

Dick Fischer, GPA president
Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org