RE: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 09:49:52 EST

Bernie,

2 Peter 3 does not say "whole world", regardless of which Bible version
selected. This phrase, however, is used a number of times in the NT. But
even these do not necessarily refer to the entire globe, but rather the
whole known world, apparently.

Consider...

Rm 1:8 "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your
faith is spoken of throughout the whole world."

That makes sense if it is in the context of those in the known world, and
not every human on the planet.

The use of "world" in the 16th century was often used to refer to the cosmos
or universe. Copernicus used it many times in his de Revolutionibus.

Coope