RE: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 22:18:33 EST

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Dehler, Bernie wrote:

> Gordon Brown said:
> " There are problems with proof texting when one uses an English
> translation. The English may be more clear-cut than the original. In the
> Biblical languages the same word is used for land and earth."
>
> RE:
> 2 Peter 3:
> 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.
>
> Here it says the whole "world."
>
> Strong's says this:
> http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2889&t=KJV
>
> None of those options (in the definition by Strongs) involve a partial covering of the Earth.
>
> Literally, I think it is clear Peter meant the whole world. I think he was wrong, because he didn't have the luxury of science as we do now, to know that the whole Earth was never flooded.
>
> I don't see the relevance of your mentioning Deut. 2;25- you'll need to explain more fully. I think they meant the world as they knew it, in that passage.
>
> My point wasn't to argue the flood. My point was that Dick said that George didn't believe Moses, so it appeared to me the same charge could be leveled at Dick himself. I'm sure Moses thought the flood was worldwide, and wrote as such. If Moses (and Peter) thought the flood was local, he sure was a super lousy communicator!
>
> ...Bernie

I think that the best way to get an idea of the meaning of world (cosmos)
is to read all of its occurrences in the New Testament. It generally seems
to refer to the human population or society or things associated with
humanity in general.

Some would argue that the phraseology of Gen. 7:19 implies a global flood,
but the same reasoning would have Deut. 2:25 implying that all nations,
even those that had never heard of Israel, would be terrified by Israel.

It is very possible, maybe even likely, that Moses and Peter personally
believed the Flood to have been worldwide, although Moses ought to have
known that wind wouldn't drop sea level.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)