RE: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 18:52:20 EST

Gordon Brown said:
" There are problems with proof texting when one uses an English
translation. The English may be more clear-cut than the original. In the
Biblical languages the same word is used for land and earth."

RE:
2 Peter 3:
6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.

Here it says the whole "world."

Strong's says this:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2889&t=KJV

None of those options (in the definition by Strongs) involve a partial covering of the Earth.

Literally, I think it is clear Peter meant the whole world. I think he was wrong, because he didn't have the luxury of science as we do now, to know that the whole Earth was never flooded.

I don't see the relevance of your mentioning Deut. 2;25- you'll need to explain more fully. I think they meant the world as they knew it, in that passage.

My point wasn't to argue the flood. My point was that Dick said that George didn't believe Moses, so it appeared to me the same charge could be leveled at Dick himself. I'm sure Moses thought the flood was worldwide, and wrote as such. If Moses (and Peter) thought the flood was local, he sure was a super lousy communicator!

...Bernie