Re: [asa] $4 gas is here to stay (fwd)

From: Kirk Bertsche <Bertsche@aol.com>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 16:26:24 EST

FYI, there's an interesting "News Focus" article in the Nov 21, 2008
issue of Science, pretty much agreeing with Glenn's contentions:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/322/5905/1178
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/322/5905/1178
DOI: 10.1126/science.322.5905.1178

For those who don't have easy access to the journal, here are some
excerpts:

ENERGY:
World Oil Crunch Looming?
Richard A. Kerr

'Even those who believe there's plenty of oil left in the ground to
meet rising demand are warning that the final crisis could come
uncomfortably soon'

'The fall in oil prices will likely be short-lived, say those in the
know. Although price spikes and drops may recur for years, says
economist Fatih Birol, "we think the era of cheap oil is over." He
and colleagues at the Paris-based International Energy Agency (IEA)
just released their World Energy Outlook 2008.'

'"It's getting harder and harder to find an optimist" on the outlook
for the world oil supply, says Beijing-based petroleum analyst
Michael Rodgers of PFC Energy, a consulting company.'

'"Non-OPEC conventional production is definitely at a peak or
plateau," says Rodgers. "That's starting to make people nervous. It's
not what even pessimistic people anticipated."'

Kirk Bertsche