RE: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 16:28:38 EST

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Dehler, Bernie wrote:

> RE:
> Genesis 6:17<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=6&verse=17&version=31&context=verse>
> I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.
>
> Genesis 9:11<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=9&verse=11&version=31&context=verse>
> I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth."
>
> 2 Peter 3:
> 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

There are problems with proof texting when one uses an English
translation. The English may be more clear-cut than the original. In the
Biblical languages the same word is used for land and earth. In Greek the
word world (cosmos) is not the same as the physical earth (ge). For how
much of the earth might be meant by under heaven, see Deuteronomy 2:25.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)