Re: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 13:48:05 EST

It's all very well to appeal to Josephus but then you ought to recognize that he doesn't know of your idea about pre-Adamites or indeed of your whole concordist scheme. Just to note one thing, in Book I, Chapter 1, Paragraph 3 he says (I'm using Whiston's old translation), "But when he saw that Adam had no female companion, no society (for there was no such created) ... " I.e. Adam was the 1st human being simpliciter, & before Eve was made from his side there weren't any others.

Your way of harmonizing early Genesis with history has been worked our very thoroughly & is certainly better than some other concordist approaches. But that doesn't mean that it's true & in fact I don't buy it for a minute. For all its ingenuity it rests on the assumption that if early Genesis is true, it must be accurate history. & it requires far too much special pleading to make that work.

As far as Mizraim is concerned, note that RSV & NRSV just translate "Egypt" in Gen.10:6 & 13. Of course Josephus - & Genesis - don't explicitly say that his descendants were the sole inhabitants of Egypt, but that's the natural way to read it. Why do you think that Jews & Christians read early Genesis for millenia assuming that what was being talked about was the whole world, that the 3 sons of Noah & their wives literally populated the whole earth, etc? It's because there's no hint in the text that that's not the case. The YEC reading of Gen.1-11 is of course wrong in the sense that it doesn't recognize the types of texts that they're dealing with and consequently produces flagrant conflict with real history & science. But when they read those chapters as straight history they read them correctly as straight history.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm