Re: [asa] promise trumps biology

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 22:00:10 EST

> Yes, Abraham didn't want his son to marry a Canaanite but the point is that that apparently had lower priority than staying in the promised land. & later in Genesis Joseph is married to an Egyptian, of "the cursed line of Ham." The ancestors of 2 of Israel's tribes result from this union & nobody seems concerned about that.<

Not to mention Joseph's brothers brothers presumably all having
Canaanite wives, certainly the case for Judah. Getting sent off to
Egypt was, in fact, probably intended in part by God as a means of
preventing assimilation.

Later, there seems to have been rather mixed ancestry in the group in
the Exodus-presumably plenty of non-Israelite slaves saw their chance
to go. One troublemaker is explicitly identified as partly of
Egyptian ancestry. Aaron and Miriam got in trouble for disparaging a
non-Israelite wife of Moses-Zipporah would have had Abrahamic
ancestry, but the passage in question refers to "Cushite" if I recall
correctly-second wife? mixed ancestry? other?

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections