Re: [asa] Nanotechnology & Religion

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 13:21:59 EST

There are of course ethical issues that would arise if nanotechnologies did make it possible to develop living systems artificially. But there is no sound theological basis for the idea that this would conflict with belief in divine creation. That idea is what I referred to recently here as the Joyce Kilmer ("Only God can make a tree") school of thought about divine action. Certainly there is a sense in which only God can create anything but there's nothing in scripture that suggests that God's creation of living things is unmediated, & if it is mediated via natural processes then those processes can in principle be replicated by human technology.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm