Re: [asa] Divine action and QM--a major ID supporter weighs in--for Timaeus

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Dec 07 2008 - 09:50:04 EST

Dave,

I'm also having a little trouble now with your reference to angels. You speak of medieval, but I'm not sure of what you mean. The term 'estendra' is dated from the 13th century, Anglo-French. But it seems you might be using the 17th century Cartesian understanding of res extensa, to distinguish between mind and matter.

So, when you suggest that angels are spirits that are 'non-extended,' I'd like to have a reference. For example, Anne Conway believed that angels are spirits extended from our Lord. If you are making the argument that 'extended' is equal only to physical-material substance (i.e. as a Cartesian would), then you'll have to contend with such current expressions as 'extend your hand,' which is consistent with a person's 'will to agree,' or with 'extend a contract,' which signifies a willingness to prolong an agreement.

In either of these two situations, the notion of 'detection' is not altogether difficult to make. And so perhaps angels are not entirely 'unextended' afterall, if by that simply means 'non-existent' according to natural science. If you would wish to argue that angels are not 'in space' using the phrase 'not extended' then you'll have to do more to make your point clear. To me, Murray Hogg's recent discussion at ASA list of space and time as mysterious and not as simply or only rationally-scientific might be a helpful reference.

Respectfully,
Gregory