Re: [asa] Divine action and QM--a major ID supporter weighs in--for Timaeus

From: dawson wayne <dawsonzhu@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 06 2008 - 10:36:29 EST

Probably the one place where everyone agrees is that we all would find it
reassuring to know the truth. If we have thought seriously about our
Christian faith at all, I'm sure most of us have struggled with some level
of doubt. Yet we are sufficiently persuaded somehow that Christ was
crucified, dead and buried and rose on the third day.

I wonder if it is that insecurity and doubt that makes us grasp for science;
maybe envy too. It would be so much easier if we could just say "science
proves.... "; no more arguing, just the facts and all wrapped up in an
airtight presentation, like an undergraduate physics or chemistry textbook.

I became a Christian while I was in the university, and what started me on
my journey into science was a desire for some evidential reason I could
justify my faith on. Science was very dazzling, being someone from outside,
and it seemed like the convenient tool (or weapon) to do that job.

But now that I have some clearer idea of what science actually is, I find
it no so simple.

The first problem I see is that we cannot really put these problems in a
standard test like we would with science. For example, recall how the devil
tempted Jesus by asking him to jump off the top of the temple. Now, if I
want to do any science on this problem, not only would I ask him to jump
off, if he did that, I would as him to do a back flip, and then a double
summersalt. If we got that far, then I'd look for probes to put up
there and I'd keep looking for some way to find the mechanism that is
supposed to hold him up (purportedly the angels). Certainly, if I found a
reliable and reproducable way to detect angels, that would be a perfectly
good scientific paper. So my audacity has gone far beyond even what the
Devil tempted Jesus with; but this is what I would do, indeed, what I must
do, if I claim to be doing "science" on such matters.

It would seem that whatever mechanism (or mechanisms) God uses to interact
with the world, he is not willing to share it with us; perhaps for good
reason. We are therefore forced to accept that we cannot prove our faith,
and to a large extent, we must live with that.

I have the impression that Augustine basically came to the conclusion that
faith could only come through grace because of this very reason. I'm sure
even in his time (something of an ancient world equivalent of
internationalization), some people found they could not believe in Jesus
because it wasn't "intellectual" and "high tech" enough for their more
sophisticated world views. Some people, God could reach, others, well....

by Grace we proceed,
Wayne