Re: [asa] Learning Modules

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 21:52:26 EST

My compliments to Dr. Stephen C. Meyers for these resources and for his entire site. I have spent the entire afternoon and evening researching this to my newfound joy and amazement. I say newfound because although I have frequented this site before and even used to be on the mailing list, what I didn't realize before was that Dr. Stephen C. Meyers of IBSS is not the same as Dr. Stephen C. Meyer of the Discovery Institute. The single letter difference in their names (but not the initial) was not obvious to me before now.

As a result I perceived this site previously as being only all the standard DI evolution bashing fare and no more. This time I was pleasantly surprised to see how unique and thoughtful this content truly is. I am passing this on in the event others may have been unaware of this distinction as well (although maybe not and I am just the last one to the party which is entirely possible).

Not only does Dr. Stephen Meyers come out unabashedly against YEC and heartily endorsing TE, he further goes the distance to separate himself from the rest of fundamentalist Christianity including Bill Gothard, James Dobson, Tim LaHaye, Chuck Missler and others.

The following quotes are what prompted me to pursue this identity crisis until I figured it out as they seemed to stand out in stark contrast with the typical ID constituency:

"I think there are extremes on both sides of this issue. I think there are times when ab*rtion is necessary. I think it is cruel to make someone who has been raped to carry the baby to term. "

"Again I think there are extremes on both sides. Evidence seems to indicate that genetics may predispose a person to homos*xuality. The environment also has a great affect as well ... Christians should not condemn the homos*xual, but show Christ's love."

I see Dr. Meyers has pioneered a trail out of fundamentalism and undoubtedly this material will be of great value to many and very useful in the church's quest to regain credibility in defending faith's congruence with science and the rationality and relevance of the Christian worldview. I heartily recommend this to all.

Thanks

John