RE: [asa] $4 gas is here to stay

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 11:54:48 EST

I too remember this thread and some of those tense and ominous conversations we had with Glenn earlier this year. I am hugely relieved that his dire predictions haven't come to pass yet and even if it is only temporary I am thankful that we have a second chance here.

I was also really shocked at just how much impact demand could have on the price of gas or probably more accurately how much discretionary consumption there was in the global demand. If we could cut back this much and still get by then why didn't we do it before? Maybe we won't run out of oil as fast as we thought. There are a lot of silver linings here.

I hope the politicians don't tax us up to $4 a gallon but if they do I hope the do something sensible with the money. I do think it is a good thing to have this econnomic lifestyle reset on a global scale and there a potentially a lot of good things that come out of it.

I know this could go either way and many Christians especially in the conservative circles feel like we just elected the anti-christ and with the government owning about half the mortgages in the country and bailing out all the employers, the stage is set for unprecedented financial control of the population by the government. But I am hopeful that God still has His plan as well and we haven't seen all He plans to do in this.

I saw this somewhat contrarian financial analyst make his comments on the current situation and I have to admit a lot of it made some sense. To borrow his analogy it is hard to take our medicine but you have to get better. I hope our new political leadership will join us in taking this medicine as well.

http://copiousdissent.blogspot.com/2008/12/peter-schiff-analogies.html

Thanks

John