Re: [asa] Why it's not as simple as God vs the multiverse

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 00:11:42 EST

I believe David Heddle, sometimes-list-contributor, dealt admirably with the
puddle comparison on his blog:
http://helives.blogspot.com/2008/07/table-to-ponder.html

That said, I think it's a mistake to believe we can 'prove' God with science
- I'm almost tempted to believe that the multiverse is even more
'God-friendly' than fine-tuning. Even inferring God (as opposed to 'some
kind of designer') is difficult empirically. But, particularly when it comes
to comparing against a modern atheist materialist perspective, there's such
a thing as too much humility. I more and more suspect that the enlightenment
vision of a world so many thought science would inevitably discover is gone
forever, and that unspoken realization (along with some other changes since
the Enlightenment era) is one reason there is such renewed tension between
religion and science.