Re: [asa] Undoing the war on science

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 22:03:59 EST

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM, John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Agreed. The scientific method including MN protects all of us by keeping
> distinct what we can know emperically from what we can know by other means.

John,

I think I probably disagree with you here. There is a lot of science that we
know non-empirically.
We know those parts of science from drawing inferences. I suspect that by
"other means" you refer to things we know from outside science altogether.
That would leave only a dichotomy of two parts, when in fact there are more
parts. At least 3 parts: 1) science we know empirically, 2) science we know
non-empirically, 3) non-scientific knowledge.

There's more. Such as (4) what is knowable but unknown. Any given unknown
might fit any of the 3 above.

If MN divides 1&2 then it is just the scientific method. If it divides 2&3
then it is not equivalent to the scientific method per se but is perhaps
something else.

One question might be about origins that fits #3 but it is unknown whether
it is 100% natural or if it is unnatural. #1 doesnt apply. #2 might
apply. Or #3 might apply. But if MN stops us from evaluating the
questions, ie, figuring out how to differentiate between 2 & 3 then it
becomes a barrier to science.

Whats worse, if something is a #4, but could be a #2, but MN prohibits it
from moving to #2, then MN becomes a science stopper.

I have a problem with dividing 2&3 when 3 has nothing whatsoever to do with
God or anything transcendental, but is merely knowledge which is difficult
to frame within science. Perhaps there is a 3A and a 3B, where 3A is all
natural knowledge, and 3B allows or is entangled with belief in something
transcendental. Ok, does MN divide 3A and 3B? If so, then does MN have
anything to do with a division between 1&2 or 2&3A? I'd say no. Others
might differ.

My belief is MN is a firewall between 3A and 3B. That is why to me it is
religion. Only, as George Murphy says, when someone tries to inject God
from 3B to 3A (if I understand him) does MN come into play. But lots of
origins science can be done in the realm of interaction between 1,2,and 3A
without raising *any* questions about God or transcendental belief. Thats
where I think investigations into statistical mechanics (and into tools that
inform us of the differences between apparent design versus real design)
fit. These latter have nothing whatsoever to do with questions about God
until the philosophers and theologians get involved.

But I admit I have only a primitive and rudimentary understanding of these
questions. I am waiting for the Poe's and Plantinga's of the world (to name
a few) to give us better visions.

Best Regards,
David Clounch (ASA member)