Re: [asa] Why it's not as simple as God vs the multiverse

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 16:39:30 EST

Hi Merv,

Nothing in the below to disagree with.

Remember the entire point of the thread is that this issue ISN'T simple!!!!

My primary objection to invoking multiuniverses in favour of atheistic conclusions is that it seems to be done with a hand-waving, cavalier disregard for precisely the sort of considerations made in the below.

My secondary objection is that arguments intended to defend "highly improbable evolution" can't be selectively ignored when used to defend "a highly improbable deity".

My third objection is that even the multiverse hypothesis has to be seen as somewhat problematic - particularly for somebody like Dawkins who wants to argue "if you can't see it, it doesn't exist"

Maybe we should be asking atheists in which of these other universes the flying spaghetti monster lives, or in which one do we find an invisible orbiting teapot!!!

I'm just not convinced by the whole exercise. And even if I were, I think it clear that the atheists DON'T get it all their way.

Blessings,
Murray