Re: [asa] ESA: Wilkins Ice Shelf under threat

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 10:25:35 EST

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/luddite :

LudĚdite (ldt)
n.
1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.
2. One who opposes technical or technological change.

[After Ned Ludd, an English laborer who was supposed to have destroyed weaving machinery around 1779.]

Limbaugh obviously doesn't qualify under 1 & I don't think does under 2 either. I generally listen to him only in short bursts (when an interview on Rome's sports talk show & the music on NPR are both uninteresting), but the only opposition to technological change I've heard from him is to cutting down on use of oil - "Folks, you don't have to change your lifestyle." More broadly, a lot of opposition to any concern about environmental problems, including GW, takes the form "technology can solve any problems."

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm