Re: [asa] Undoing the war on science

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 00:29:53 EST

What constitutes an 'attack on science' in the so-called war is part of the
problem. A lot of legitimate and reasonable positions or viewpoints on what
are in part political or moral questions become part of the 'war on science'
if someone feels that describing it as such will be advantageous. Have
reservations about fetal stem-cell research? Congratulations, you're now
declaring war on science! Other examples are easy to think of.

So long as people think traction and sympathy can be gained from describing
a position they oppose as anti-scientific or an attack on science, little
progress will be made here. Oddly, I think that's the real 'war on science'
- turning it from a very limited method of inquiry to some strange social
standard and political construct.