Re: Polanyi on science (was Re: [asa] C.S. Lewis on ID)

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 21:16:00 EST

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Don Winterstein wrote:

> Hmm. Your use of "consistency" comes as such a surprise I need to pursue this just a bit further. As an ex-physicist I've taken lots of math courses and even an upper-level philosophy course or two (albeit in the distant past). I yield to you on usage in philosophy, but I don't recall a mathematician ever using "consistency" as a math term. With powerful words like proof, equality and identity, why would they need, and where would they use, "consistency"?
>
> Don

In mathematics an axiom system is said to be consistent if it does not
lead to a contradiction. One of the major events in the history of
mathematics occurred when it was shown that if Euclidean geometry is
consistent, then so is hyperbolic geometry (where there are more than one
line through a given point parallel to a given line).

Gordon Brown (ASA member)