[asa] Young Evangelicals was Re: ESA: Wilkins Ice Shelf under threat

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 16:22:25 EST

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>wrote:

> "Note to Don: one thing I noticed while listening to the
> President-elect's stump speech when he was at CSU is how popular his call
> for sacrifice is, particularly amongst young people."
>
> Understandable, as young people as a rule have never paid the bills. Old
> people have, and that's why legislators are afraid to mess with Social
> Security, etc.
>
> Don

When
I am talking about young people I am talking about 18-34. So, yes,
they are paying the bills and have also probably been recently laid
off. They have a longer view because all the damage they see being
done by their elders. One demographic I am particularly interested
in
is young evangelicals. An interesting way to look at this is to note
the differences between evangelicals that voted for Obama versus
McCain
as a proxy for older versus younger evangelicals.

Beliefnet did a survey of religious voters and one the more intriguing
results are the relative priorities of
evangelicals that supported Obama vs. evangelicals that supported McCain.

I culled out "issues" that weren't issues like running mates and then
compared it to what Americans as a whole did from an Opinion Dynamics
poll just before the election.

First the priorities of the McCain evangelicals:

   1. Abortion
   2. Cleaning Up Government
   3. Fighting Islamic Radicalism
   4. Gay Marriage
   5. The Economy
   6. The Iraq War
   7. Illegal Immigration
   8. Access to Health Care
   9. Reducing Poverty
   10. The Environment

Now the Obama evangelicals:

   1. The Economy
   2. The Iraq War
   3. Reducing Poverty
   4. The Environment
   5. Cleaning Up Government
   6. Access to Health Care
   7. Gay Marriage
   8. Abortion
   9. Fighting Islamic Radicalism
   10. Illegal Immigration

The American people prioritized in four clusters. The biggest
"cluster" was -- surprise, surprise -- the economy at 40%. The next
cluster at around 7-9% was terrorism, health care, and the war in
Iraq. The next cluster around 6% was government corruption and
abortion. Dead last was illegal immigration.
The younger evangelicals were thus more in touch with the American people
than the older ones.

One thing of note is the high priority of poverty and environment for
the Obama evangelicals. This is not surprising since this is the
hallmark of young evangelicals. Since this was not a choice on the
surveys I've looked at it's hard to tell where that would fit in. The
fact that the presumably older evangelicals treated these priorities
dead last is interesting. Do we as older evangelicals really care
about the world we are passing on to our children and grandchildren?
Or are we just concerned about getting ours
or fighting the same old tired culture war battles?

Rich Blinne
Member ASA