Re: [asa] ESA: Wilkins Ice Shelf under threat

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 13:11:15 EST

Hi Burgy,

Not so much a comment on the piece as a sympathetic (?) observation;

I'm becoming increasingly cynical of the anti-GW position on the simple basis that it's adherents so often seem to resort to rhetoric rather than reason.

I'm sure there are at least SOME reasons to question GW, and I imagine that there are credible scientists who still hold out against GW, but given that we seem to be reaching a position where it becomes (as per the Judson article you cited) simply a case of bashing scientists as biased, incompetent, or dishonest, I don't know that I want to play.

And as for suggesting that GW is merely a grand left-wing political conspiracy - well, I think that the fact that people even raise politics as a central issue should tip us off as to where THEIR interests lie. When one's own motives are primarily political / ideological it becomes so very hard not to assume that others are motivated by the same sort of considerations - albeit the values of the left rather than the valued of the right.

I welcome your contributions on this - particularly as they pertain to the science rather than the politics of the debate. The later are, of course, important but hardly serve to inform us as to what's actually happening in the world climatologically speaking.

Blessings,
Murray