Re: [asa] ESA: Wilkins Ice Shelf under threat

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 12:31:18 EST

Good exchange here. The anit-GW people seem to be largely composed of
Luddites. That does not translate into ALL anti-GW people are kooks,
but those who are not need to acknowledge and criticize the kooks,
among which are Rush Limbaugh, many other RR talk show "hosts" (don't
try to talk with them and introduce reason -- you will get shouted
down).

I do know some anti-GW folks prety well who are not Luddites. I think
them wrong, but we can have civilized discussions.

I just sent my December column to the Rico Bugle. Here it is: I'd
appreciate comments (reasoned ones).

Burgy (column follows)

On Global Warming

The subject of Global Warming, climate change, and the like has heated
up since I last wrote about it back in September 2007. It's time we
all became more familiar with the issues. The IPCC site (www.ipcc.ch/)
is a one place to start. It collects the work of thousands of
scientists and presents it well. In sum, it makes these six points:

1. CO2 levels ARE rising (100% chance of this claim being correct)
2. Global Warming IS happening. (95% chance of this claim being correct)
3. CO2 levels DO tend to drive the earth's temperature higher. (90%
chance of this claim being correct)
4. An increase in the earth's temperature is NOT a good thing. (No
chance limits stated)
5. Humanity IS the driving factor in increasing CO2 levels. (90%
chance of this claim being correct)
6. It MAY be possible to do something about this. (No chance limits stated)

Now a typical denier may call in question any of points 2, 3, 4, 5 or
6. Since there are still some of these around, among them many on the
extreme right, the young earth crowd, Rush Limbaugh, Fred Singer and
even one member of Congress (Inhofe, Republican from Oklahoma), you
may want to check out their claims. There is little evidence for their
positions. For comparisons of this kind, see the continuing
discussions at

www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/05/start-here/
This site is a commentary site on climate science by working climate
scientists for the interested public.
Yes -- there are anti-GW sites. Generally, reading them with a dash of
skepticism and common sense will reveal how shallow they are. Here are
a few; google can find many more:

www.globalwarming.org/
www.globalwarminghoax.com/news.php
www.globalwarmingheartland.org/

The following site is a listing of known skeptic organizations.

/www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/global_warming_contrarians/global-warming-skeptic.html

I recently read the book THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT GUIDE TO GLOBAL
WARMING, by Christopher Horner. 345 pages of ad hominem attacks,
muddled thinking, suspect "cherry picked" data, and adjectival
(shrill) editorializing. It reminds me of the many books on the "young
earth" published by The Institute for Creation Research. Published in
2007, it is already out of date.

By the way, this ought NOT be a political issue. Alas, it seems it is.
A news release 10/30/08 showed that 51% of Republican supporters are
skeptical about (or uninvolved with) climate change compared to just
19% of Democratic supporters.
A comprehensive set of rebuttals to Inhofe, Singer, Limbaugh, and
other GW contrarians may be found at
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/index/#Responses

A reputable blog which discusses the issues is at
http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/

A reputable government site is www.epa.gov/climatechange/

An NOAA site with Q's and A's is at
www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

Spode's letter last month, supposedly from the year 2048, indicates
the contrarians won out. If his letter is genuine, then I suspect
Houston and New Orleans joined Florida in becoming sea bottom. Not to
mention Holland, Bangladesh, many Pacific islands. Estimated deaths,
100.000. Estimated displaced persons 1,000,000,000.

John Burgeson

--
Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com