Re: [asa] ESA: Wilkins Ice Shelf under threat

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 02:11:49 EST

Hi Lyn,

The fact that the current financial crisis has moved people to focus on their immediate financial situation over against the long-term considerations involved in global warming is no basis for concluding anything about whether global warming is a product of media hype.

I have to say that I see a remarkable double standard being applied here - global warming is claimed to be a simple product of media hype whilst the role of the media in the current financial situation is entirely ignored. The very same media which is supposedly completely unreliable in its pronouncements on global warming, is supposed be unimpeachable in respects of its reporting of, and influence on, financial institutions and markets?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

What I do buy is the claim that much resistance to global warming is driven by people with a vested financial interest in the status quo. And I think your response below merely serves to reinforce this view: if people's acceptance of global warming can be so easily abandoned in the face of straightened economic circumstances, then it suggests to me that the primary consideration never was "what does the science say?" but always "what is this going to cost me?".

I'll only add - in reiteration both of a point Rich Bline made in a previous post on this thread and which follows from my second paragraph above: to quote the media in response to credible scientific agencies is hardly convincing, especially when a cornerstone of your argument is that media are utterly devoid of credibility on scientific reportage.

Blessings,
Murray Hogg
President, Janet Matchett memorial fan club.