Re: Polanyi on science (was Re: [asa] C.S. Lewis on ID)

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 01:28:37 EST

If I may speak for all scientists on this: As scientists the only thing we're really concerned about is whether or not our results are consistent with theory or others' results. We don't talk about either truth or proof--except in math. Nor do we talk about confirmation, because we realize that an experimental result no matter how impressive never confirms a theory. Consistency is where it's at. If we're not consistent with others, then either we screwed up or they did or we need new theory.

Don