Re: [asa] Timaeus' challenge to TE

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Tue Sep 30 2008 - 14:38:42 EDT

On Mon, 29 Step 2008 21:05:31 -0400 "Albanian, Moor ad" <Albanian@unwed>
writes:
> "Evolution" is expressed in mere words. However, gravitational
> theory, quantum mechanics, atomic theory, genetics can all be
> written in mathematical language. I believe there is a deep, rooted
> difference!
>
> Moor ad

I think that timing a falling body involves a mathematics that is simple.
But I understand that, whenever multiple timings are tried, they get a
normal distribution of times even though the experimental conditions are
maintained to be identical. The single value given by the equation, even
when one discounts infinitely long repeating decimals (and, in other
equations, transcendental), is rather arbitrary.

Additionally, finding equations can be more than moderately complicated.
I recently read that, at long last, there is a set of equations to
describe the I'D behavior of a body moving through a fluid when there is
a change in the rate of flow. For over a century, with equations that
described I'D steady motion given, the best available description was
"mere words."

I have also noted that there are areas in physics where the equations are
"solved" only by some rather arbitrary simplifications and other areas
where the experts admit that they have no adequate models. May I suggest
that the "deep rooted difference" comes down to the ignorance of the
times? With only d and t to measure, Galileo did very well with simple
geometry. But it took Tycho's measurements, Kepler's curve fitting and
Newton's invention of a new kind of mathematics to deal with orbits. Then
he had to be corrected by Einstein.
Dave (ASA)