Re: [asa] writing DNA...

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 18:26:49 EDT

> This actually has made me think of a question that I hadn't considered
> before. Are there short sequences that statistically should occur in
> proteins, but don't because their structure would be so inimical to all
> protein functions that they would be universally strongly selected against?
> I doubt that any short sequence could have that strong an effect, but it
> would be interesting if there were any such sequences.

Probably long strings of a single amino acid are disproportionally
rare, especially cysteine with its special structutal function.

A search of the entire database would indeed make it likely to find
sequences up to about 10 letters or so. However, I could make more of
a case for specified complexity in the GAINFIST-cox1 example, because
that's in a single stretch of less than 300 amino acids which is the
only protein sequence known for a lot of the mussels. On the other
hand, I didn't know in advance to look for the phrase, but then there
wasn't any a priori reason for ID folks to get excited about flagella,
either.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections