RE: [asa] Conversation with Timaeus, part one

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 01:56:02 EDT

Allan wrote:

We see a movement that is happy to hold hands with the YEC movement, but
that treats Christians like Francis Collins as traitors.

Previously, Timaeus wrote on the subject of many ID leaders, in his
understanding, not necessarily disavowing CD.

I think this is where the confusion comes. You have the "inner core" of ID
leadership, such as the Discovery Institute. You have others who on the
Internet and in pews and pulpits take some of the points of ID and
popularize it through repetition. And then you have a large body of YEC
proponents, who are pro-ID by definition, who take away many of the points
of Intelligent Design and ignore or distance themselves from people like
Mike Behe, and they tend to promote their version of Intelligent Design with
a YEC flavor. It is my unscientific opinion that this latter group are the
ones who have statistically the most influence on the Christian community,
because of their aggressive propaganda machines.

I think this muddies the water as to who are the "Intelligent Design
leaders" being discussed. Timaeus may take a sanitized view that only those
involved in purely ID theorizing are fairly characterized as such, but
because there seem to be many more proponents of YEC varieties of ID, it's
hard to separate them. Especially when for instance the Discovery Institute
doesn't seem to distance itself from the YEC fringe, but instead to
reinforce that perception within Christian readership.

Jon Tandy