Re: [asa] Re: [asa] Rejoinder 2B from Timaeus – to Don Nield

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 16:14:53 EDT

Hi Mike.
DN: My comments are interpolated below.

Nucacids wrote:
> Hi Don,
>

> Thanks for pointing out Denton’s paper. It is quite good and I plan
> to review it on my blog.
>

> You wrote:
>

> “Denton has distanced himself from Behe’s view that certain biological
> entities are machines. If they are not machines then that undercuts
> Behe’s position in a fundamental way.”
>

> This may be true, but I would add a clarification. It is not simply
> Behe who views certain biological entities are machines. It was Bruce
> Alberts who was the break-out guy for introducing the concept of a
> ‘molecular machine’ to the wider biological community and it has since
> proved very popular and useful. Ironically, Denton used the term
> ‘molecular machine’ in his first book and I don’t think Behe used it
> in DBB (the term 'machine' is not in the index).
DN. Yes, the concept of molecular machine is widely used, and Denton
acknowledges this. Nevertheless, he now thinks that the term is
misleading. Yes, Denton uses the term in his first book. My point is
that he has now dramatically changed his view point and would no longer
use it. The bulk of Behe's book DBB is based on the concept of
biological machinery, so one would not expect to find it explicitly
mentioned in the index. (In fact, if one nit-picks, one finds that it
is there, under "Cell(s) ..., molecular machines and...") :-) On page
5 one finds "molecular machines raise an as-yet-impenetrable barrier to
Darwinism's universal reach ... in this book I will examine several
fascinating molecular machines..."
I take the opportunity to point out the change between Denton's ETC and
his ND is an illustration of a weakness of the ID (DI type) argument
based on deficiencies in current scientific understanding -- a "designer
of the gaps" type argument.

> More to the point:
>

> “It seems to me that Denton’s latest writings are more in line with a
> TE position (such as I hold myself) than with an ID one.”
>

> As I have noted before, there are many types of ID folk. I know this
> to be fact because, I have said, I have extensive cyber-experience
> with this topic. And when I pointed this out, I noted there are many
> grassroots ID supporters who are neo-vitalists. Denton seems to be
> part of this variant. For example:
>

> “If it is the case as we suggest above, that exploiting
> self-organization is of necessity for complex material
> self-replication and if it is also the case that the self-organizing
> systems that are exploited by life are without analogy within the
> space of all material possibilities, then life as it exists on earth
> would be a unique phenomenon. This does have vitalist implications.”
>

> The affinity between Denton and Behe clearly comes from the very
> distinction that Timaeus is making – a challenge to the Darwinian
> conception of evolution. From this viewpoint, Denton is closer to
> Behe than he is to Ken Miller (for example).
DN: Perhaps in some respects, but not in others.

> Of course, I still maintain that attempts to put people into neat
> little categories are ultimately futile.
DN: Yes, but I would use the term "limited" rather than "futile". It
does help to group people into bands on a spectrum provided that this is
done along a specified axis, and one is aware that people simultaneously
vary along other axes.

> -Mike Gene
DN: Signing off for now.
Don