[asa] seminar on science, philosophy & Structural Realism; Oct. 3, 3:30

From: Loren Haarsma <lhaarsma@calvin.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 15:24:53 EDT

For the Grand Rapids, MI, area:
The next Christian Perspectives in Science seminar at Calvin College,
         co-sponsored by the Calvin Philosophy Department, is

Friday, October 3, 3:30 PM in Science Building room 110.

  Speaker: Elise M. Crull, graduate student in University of Notre Dame
                   History and Philosophy of Science Program

    Title: Should Christians be Structural Realists?
Abstract:
   There is much ado in philosophy of science these days concerning structural
realism -- a position about scientific theories that purports to be the "best
of both worlds" by dodging major bullets on both sides of the realism debate.
In this talk, I investigate whether or not Christians have different and/or
stronger reasons for adopting such a position. I argue that despite the
initial appeal of structural realism, it admits of objections that cannot be
surmounted even with the aid of arguments from Christianity. Nevertheless, I
suggest that a more nuanced version of structural realism in the vein of
Poincar might yet provide a tantalizing option for a faith-informed analysis of
what science claims to be and do.
====
http://www.calvin.edu/~lhaarsma/ChrPerspSciSeminarPage.html