[asa] Letter to Nature in response to claim that science implies atheism

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 10:33:11 EDT

On 28 August, the journal "Nature" published a letter by Matthew Cobb and Jerry Coyne, stating that “the only contribution that science can make to the ideas of religion is atheism."

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v454/n7208/full/4541049d.html

A couple weeks ago, Francis Collins, Owen Gingerich and I drafted a letter to the editor of Nature, responding to this charge. Nature was apparently inundated with replies and did not print our letter, but they invited us to post it here:

http://network.nature.com/groups/naturenewsandopinion/forum/topics/2389?page=1#reply-7767

Ted