Re: [asa] Conversation with Timaeus, part one

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 25 2008 - 17:36:04 EDT

 <http://members.aol.com/steamdoc/sci-nature/Chapter5.pdf>
Maybe Allan's definitions for
evolution<http://members.aol.com/steamdoc/sci-nature/Chapter5.pdf>(6
definitions for evolution - E1 to E6) can be helpful here. His E2
definition (Common descent - CD) and E3 definition (NS + RM + others) are
one's that many (or at least some) ID proponents accept ie. If that is what
is meant by evolution, then they are EC / TE (whether or not they wish to
accept the term.

However, I think It is the E4 definition that is the key differentiator : E4
= The mechanisms (E3) account physically for CD (E2). Most self-proclaimed
EC / TE proponents accept E4 (Or at least say it is theologically
acceptable). I'd be interested in Timaeus's response to this - does the E4
definition qualify as "Theistic Darwinism"? Or can those that accept E4 be
considered within the ID fold (whether they want to accept the term or
not)? I think if we all agree to E4, we are probably well on our way to a
broad based agreement.

thanks,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:06 PM, j burg <hossradbourne@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Behe has clearly stated that there are biochemical structures that
> are irreducibly complex and did not evolve."
>
> Is this not the crux of the issue? If one says that "maybe" there are
> biochemical structures that are irreducibly complex and did not
> evolve, that is a much weaker statement, one which I might make
> myself.
>
> Also -- is Behe's views to be taken as ID's definitional positions? He
> is just one person.
>
> Burgy
>
> --
> Burgy