Re: [asa] Look Who's Irrational Now

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 25 2008 - 13:32:19 EDT

One may be tempted based on anecdotal and isolated surveys to jump to
certain conclusions based on purely statistical information. For instance,
the reason why more traditional Christians are less likely to admit to
belief in the paranormal, seems simple, because they have been told that
such is strongly at odds with their faith. Remember the objections by some
denominations to the Harry Potter books because of the witchcraft involved.

The WSJ's write provides us with an interesting spin but somehow I'd like to
see the full survey before jumping to conclusions based on anecdote and few
other isolated surveys.

Funny how some are quick to conclude that "Gallup/Baylor study proves
traditional Christianity promotes rationalism"

http://www.baylor.edu/pr/news.php?action=story&story=52815
http://www.isreligion.org/

--
The survey found that 45 percent of Americans report having at least two
religious encounters (Ch. 6, "Religious Experiences: God Told Me to Go to